Friday, June 15, 2012

Books & Writing: Be Yourself

Taking a short break from Creating Characters today. Back to it next week.

While reading a devotional this morning, I had to share this thought. It's taken from Max Lucado's devotional, Grace For The Moment.

He talks about the face-off between David and Goliath. These two are nothing alike. Goliath is huge, strong and he wields a javelin and a spear. David is young, small and his weapon is a sling shot. As Mr. Lucado points out this is like an eighteen-wheeler coming up against a VW Bug.

King Saul tries to help by offering David his own armor and weapons, but David refuses. And though it would appear he's choosing suicide, he defeats Goliath with his slingshot and a stone.

Mr. Lucado says, "What fits others might not fit you. Indeed what fits the king might not fit you. Just because someone gives you advice, a job, or a promotion, you don't have to accept it. Let your uniqueness define your path of life."

I don't believe we should ignore advice, but while we listen with a careful ear we must remember who we are. As a writer I sometimes wish I wrote like so-and-so -- I become frustrated with my own style, wishing I wrote snappier or that I was wittier or that my prose were filled with more detail and beauty. Certainly, my writing style is not for everyone. It's not meant to be. I'm not supposed to be a copy of someone else.

Just as you and I may read different types of books, we also write in our own unique style. That's as it should be.

Make peace with who you are. Embrace the gifts given to you, just for you. After all, they are given by God and if he can create all the universe, then He certainly knew what He was doing when He created you and me.

Grace and peace to you from God,

Bonnie

2 comments:

  1. fer shurrrre! I'm glad you're YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So ture, yet hard to do! Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis